Saturday, January 23, 2010

it is probably nothing...

But it could be something, and that's why I'm so anxious.

Even though it was only two years ago that I was working as a school counselor, it seems like it was a lifetime ago. I was often in the position of having conversations with parents that would indicate to them that their child was not functioning "normally" in the classroom.

And now the tables have in a sense turned. It is now my child that does not appear to be developing "normally". While Bryan seems to be handling this with ease, I am finding it to be quite painful. I think the reason is Bryan is sure it is nothing, and I seem to be preparing for the worst (hmm...that's an odd role-reversal).

At Brett's 2-year check-up, I mentioned to his doctor that I was concerned about his language development, fully expecting to hear a "all children develop at different rates" speech. But instead, she recommended getting him assessed through the school district. Okay, that seemed reasonable. Brett was getting a little finger prick when his doctor called me back into the examining room. She said she had consulted with her supervising doctor, and they felt I should take Brett to the U of M Genetics Clinic for some testing. She said she thought it would be a good idea since there seems to be multiple issues going on (heart murmur, cataracts, and language delay) and due to the fact that we have very limited information about his biological history.

After talking it over with Bryan, we honestly didn't understand why it was necessary, so we put off making the appointment. We went forward with the assessment through the school district, and their results indicated exactly what we have observed: that his receptive language seems to be about average, but his expressive language is delayed - but not to a point where the school district would provide services.

Brett's doctor was persistent to the extent that the Genetics Clinic actually called us to schedule an appointment. So we did. We are unclear as to what we expect to learn from the appointment, or what exactly they will be looking for. The appointment is this coming Tuesday, and we've been told to be prepared for it to last at least 4 hours. I'd really appreciate prayers that Brett would be able to tolerate the examinations (he has a hard time sitting still and it has previously required exam under anesthesia), and that any results we receive would indicate a clear direction to go from here if necessary.

5 comments:

  1. We had to have genetics run on two of our kids. Both times, it wasn't too big of a deal...both offices had quite a few toys and they would let the kids play and also have them do various things as they watched. They also ran blood work (that's the bad part) but they made things fun both times. We were really pushed into getting genetics done on Rory, too...and we know nothing of his family history. Turns out, all this fuss and they think he was just too squished in the womb. That resulted in his severe plagiocephaly (misshapen head) and club feet. He has speech delays as a result but truly started blossoming speech-wise around age 4-5. I bet Brett will, too. My Mother In Law has always said "Every rose blooms in its' own time" and I think she is right! Will be praying hard that all is fine and that Brett does well with the long exam. Try not to worry too much...know that I am thinking of you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quentin had to be assessed by The Children's Resource and Development Center twice now and we go back when he turns two. Those tests were 3-4 hours tests. They weren't genetic tests, but more so tests to see how he was developing. I used to get so anxious and nervous as to what they would find, and usually it was nothing I didn't already know or suspect, so I can totally understand.
    Our doctor is an awesome doctor and she tends to err on the side of caution. I am somewhat comforted in knowing that although there may be no surprises durring these doctor visits, at least if there were something that came up, our doctor wanted to address it as soon as possible to help Quentin thrive. Maybe that's what your doctor is doing too?
    At any rate, I will be praying that your visit goes smoothly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will definitely be thinking of you and hope all turns out just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be praying for Brett and for you as he goes for testing, that things will go smoothly and be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will praying for all 5 of you. I'm sure you are scared. I know I would be. Sometimes as Momma's our imagination can run wild too, and we worry about things that we shouldn't worry about. Sending many ((Hugs)) to you!!! Praying that it turns out to be nothing.

    ReplyDelete