Monday, January 24, 2011

Brett's friend

We have gone through spells where Brett did not want to participate in Children's Church. It seems like a lot of kids go through this, and the teachers have always been very understanding and helpful. In September, Brett started a new class, where there was a little more teaching time and less free-play, plus a new teacher to get to know, and all of this change brought on some hesitation on his part. But a few weeks into the new routine, things started to improve. One Sunday while I was signing Brett into his class, Brett was reluctant, and the teacher told Brett that "Devon" would be there soon. Brett perked up and went into class. I was curious about "Devon" and the teacher said Brett had made a friend named Devon.

This was exciting news! Brett is a friendly and thoughtful guy, but his speech delay makes it challenging for him to make friends. Later during the the service, I had to go back to the children's program to deal with one of our other kids, so I peeked in Brett's class. Sure enough - Brett was playing with Devon. But Devon wasn't quite what I was expecting - he was not another 3 year old. He was the teen helper for the class and he also happened to be African American.

Over the months, Brett has bonded with Devon. We talk about Devon during the week and on Sunday mornings Brett looks forward to going to church to play with Devon - usually "cars". Yesterday, Brett brought a picture home that he had colored with Devon. The brown faces warmed my heart. I am so thankful that Devon - just an ordinary teen boy - has faithfully helped out in the 3 year olds' class and made a special connection with our son. He does not know what an extraordinary blessing he has been!

5 comments:

  1. Seriously! I'm teary-eyed. There is just nothing like seeing someone else love your kid! And I know some day BRETT will be that special blessing for some other mom who wants to see her kid loved-on.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. There certainly angels all around us, if we just open our eyes and our hearts. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful news!

    What a blessing Devon is.

    ReplyDelete