Friday, October 21, 2016

it's not a birthday until...

We have a joke in our house. 

"It's not Reggie's birthday until somebody throws up."  It started with his 1st birthday when he ate too much cake.  Then the next year...he choked on his hotdog...

But this last time, it wasn't Reggie's birthday - and it wasn't Reggie. 

It was mine.

My stomach started hurting the night before my birthday and I thought I had just eaten too much.  But the night went on and I was feeling worse instead of better. Barely sleeping at all, the next morning when Bryan was up and getting ready for work, he implored me to go to the ER.  I felt ridiculous going to the ER just for a stomach ache.  But an ultrasound revealed a major gallstone attach. After a few hours, I was discharged with a phone number for the surgery center in hand. I was heavily medicated and Bryan was in charge of the driving.   The motion of the vehicle tipped me over the edge... and now our "joke" is - it's not a birthday until someone throws up.

I have since gotten rid of my gallbladder.  It was just a pain anyway.

I'm very thankful to my mom for helping out so much in the days following the surgery.  She ended up having two patients. Me...and the kid with strep throat.

Nope, this saga called life cannot be made up. 

1 comment: