It's true that you think you are busy with one baby. Until you have two - under two.
And you are busy with two under two no doubt. But the third one makes it pure insanity at times.
For example, every weekday morning around 8:45, Reggie is ready for his nap. Usually, Brett and Lydia go with me to put him to bed on the second floor. Brett races ahead of us because he loves to play with the sink in the bathroom. Lydia climbs the stairs dreadfully slow and I follow her close behind with Reggie in my arms. When we finally get to the top of the stairs, Lydia veers to the left for the toilet paper. I drag the two toddlers out of the bathroom and into Reggie's room and close the door so they are somewhat contained. I try to give Reggie a couple minutes of transition time in the rocking chair instead of just plopping him in his bed. It goes a little something like this:
"Jesus loves me, this I know, for the..."
"Brett, no playing with the blinds."
"...Bible tell me so, Little..."
"Lydia, stay out of the closet."
"...ones to him belong, They are weak, but..."
"I SAID get out of of the closet you two!"
"...He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves..."
"Brett leave the night light alone."
"...me. Yes Jesus loves me. Yes.."
[Lydia pulls the drawers out of changing table. They pull all the diapers out.]
"JesuslovesmefortheBibletellsmeso."
Reggie is plopped in his bed. I clean up the mess and tell the kids to say "night night" to Reggie. That is an example of an ordinary day. I'm still too angry to write about what happened today.
Other days, I choose the leave-my-toddlers-unattended approach. Then I am even more hasty because I'm afraid of what's happening while I'm gone:

Poor Reggie. I remember sometimes lingering a half hour putting Brett down for a nap - reading and singing to him...
I went back and read the earlier post. That was just too funny!
ReplyDeleteQuentin is the huge mess maker in our family. Josiah is not too bad, although I have noticed that Quentin initiates the trouble and Josiah usually follows.
Check out my blog...I nominated you for an award.
I just can't imagine how zany your life must be at times as I feel like I have my hands very full with a 2 month old and 20 month old. I keep telling myself it WILL get easier. I am sure that's also true for you. :-)
ReplyDeleteI was thinking something very similar the other day when we were 15 minutes late to a story hour at the library. I remembered a post I did on how I felt like I had accomplished something huge when I got to the library with my one child. Ha! With three kids now I can only laugh.
ReplyDeleteYou had me cracking up!! :) I still have scenes like that with mine where I am trying so hard to get them to pray or be serious and all of the sudden they are asking about light bulbs and climbing bookcases. At least we can laugh about it all. It just makes you realize how much we will miss all this craziness one day when they are grown!
ReplyDelete