Friday, September 10, 2010

three is WAY more than two

The summer was coming to an end... Bryan had a three-day-weekend...it was time for the diapers to go for good.

My parents agreed to take Reggie for four straight days so we could give all our attention to potty learning (more on that later). It was the first time Reggie had stayed away from us overnight- it was the first time we have had *only* two kids overnight since we brought Reggie home. And what a difference it was! On Friday evening, I got home with Brett and Lydia after meeting my mom and Bryan got home from a business trip. Frozen pizza was on my mind, but in light of *only* having two toddlers, Bryan was eager to eat out (at a buffet where there is no actual waiting for food involved of course). We almost enjoyed our food and made it through dessert without any major mishaps.

We had a couple intense days of potty learning ("boot camp" style), but still were in awe of the dramatic decrease in noise and activity level. And it's not Reggie in particular - it's just all three together that create a constant state of unavoidable chaos. Even with the extra laundry and cleaning up after messes, keeping up with the housework was manageable! And I did something I have never had the chance to do - Lydia and I walked to the playground. Just the two of us and no massive strollers - no 25-pounder attached to my back. With all that freedom, I got to go down the big slide with Lydia - over and over again! Brett and I baked raspberry bars - uninterrupted! And on Tuesday, when Bryan went back to work and Reggie was still at Grandma's, Brett, Lydia, and I laid on my bed and watched Sesame Street together. This stuff seems really small, but with the constant flurry of activity around here, it's hard to carve out time to just enjoy the company of each of my children.

And I know it wasn't just the fact that we were short one toddler. It was that we had no plans or ambitions but to spend time with the two kiddos. That doesn't happen often enough.I'm afraid I'm going to blink and they will be all grown up.

2 comments:

  1. I honestly have NO idea how you do it. With a second one on the way and a newborn at home, I am literally paralyzed with anxiety and fear about how I will do it. I look to you for inspiration:). I'll remember how lucky I will be to *only* have two to care for:)! Lol! You are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy,

    Three does make the craziness seem more crazy. When I went back home to AZ for a weekend with just Jonathan leaving his sisters with daddy, I came home and felt like I had spent a weekend at a spa resort - rested and energized. There was a time when I thought one child was a lot of work and not a spa resort. :)

    ReplyDelete