Wednesday, February 24, 2010

dating again

It's not as bad as some couples I know. You know, the ones where they just can't part from their baby for a couple hours for a date. I think we've actually done pretty good, considering the circumstances. We left both Brett and Lydia overnight by the time they were 5 months old.

Can't say that with Reggie - not that we wouldn't if given the opportunity. It's just that our kids are a lot of work. Neither one of our regular sitters are willing to watch all 3 of them solo unless they are all sleeping. So, that means if we want to go out, we need 2 sitters. By the time we pay for that, we'd have to pack a lunch and spend our date walking around the block - and I guess that wouldn't be terrible if it were sixty degrees warmer.

So, after Valentine's Day came and went without a date, it was decided that something had to be done. Ironically, one of the few blogs I still keep up with had a post about Project 52: Dating my husband one week at a time. The Project was started by another blogger - a busy mom with small kids who pledged to date her husband one night a week and then blog about it (and others are now doing the same). The dates are usually a set hour of the week after the kids are in bed, therefore not requiring a sitter. We've tried something similar before, but we quickly ran out of ideas of things to do, and it ended up just being another TV night. The great thing about this is we can go to the blog for ideas, so hopefully we will stick with it.

Project 52: Date Nights logo

So, we had our first date Tuesday night - we had each written "bucket lists" and discussed them over ice cream. I don't plan to blog about our dates, but thought I'd post about it once. It is too easy to give all of our energy to our kids and let other relationships coast.
(We do actually have a real date set for this weekend! One of our sitters talked her roommate into helping her out and they are giving us a good deal.)

3 comments:

  1. Good for you!! Hubby and I are trying to get into date nights again...we don't do it and we don't even have the excuse of little ones:). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy your "real" date this weekend! :-) I went to the website you mentioned about Project 52. I think it's great for couples to be purposeful about spending time together and investing in their relationship. I contemplated for a moment adding that to my "45 before 45" list but then decided it wasn't appealing - at least not the way she described (getting dressed up, etc.). I've worn makeup one time since Ian was born 11 weeks ago - last week when we got our pictures taken. Thankfully Paul honestly doesn't care one iota. Anyhow I hope you and your dh have fun with your at home dates, and I hope you get to take more "real" dates. Maybe once they get a little older you'll find some good babysitters who are willing to watch 3 kids at once. I certainly babysat 3 kids at once when I was a teenager although I can't say I ever babysat 3 at once that were under 2 1/2 years old. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, we scrapped the getting dress up component. I told Bryan I'd try to take a shower that day, but no guarantees!

    ReplyDelete