Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Christmas traditions

I love celebrating holidays and especially Christmas. One of my favorite things about celebrating Christmas is having special traditions. We have some that we have continued from childhood, and we have some that we've started since we were married. Here are a few:

The Advent Calendar
Bryan's mom always gets us an advent calendar. A few years back, she decided we were getting too old and didn't get us one. I had to correct her. And every year since, it is on our doorstep before December 1! We always laugh at how much she spends on shipping it!

Coke and Cookies
We drink Coke and eat fudge covered oreos while we decorate the tree. We buy the Christmas edition coke bottles and save one every year. "2003" is missing...

Ornaments
We buy a new ornament that helps us to remember a special memory from that year. Last year we picked out the baseball guy because we went to the Baseball Hall of Fame for vacation. We haven't bought one for this year yet, but Bryan says it will be a Packer one to commemorate that they clinched the division.
Stockings
This tradition sorta just happened, which I think are the best ones! I bought these cheapo stockings at the dollar store shortly after we married and hung them up. One said "Joy" and one said "Noel". The next day, I came home, and Bryan had altered his "Noel" stocking with duct tape. He didn't think it was fair for me to have a personalized one!

The Greatest Gift
We just started this tradition last year. The first gifts under the tree are these gold boxes. There is one for each family member (2 this year, hopefully 3 next year!). Inside each gold box is a portion of the Luke 2 passage. When we open gifts, the gold boxes are the first gifts we open, and we read Luke 2 to honor the greatest gift of our Savior born in a manger.

5 comments:

  1. Joy,
    Great entry about Christmas tradiotions. I think traditions are such a fun peek inside various family "cultures" - thanks for sharing yours!

    On another note, I thought I'd add this link for anyone visiting your blog that might know of a family with international paperwork ready to go -- four baby boys each arrived at a care center in Guatemala and need to be placed with a family before laws change at the end of the year http://www.boggsministry.com/Site_2/EN_Blog/Entries/2007/12/8_A_long_shot_!______.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the gold box idea! I might have to steal that one.(hehe) Each year we read the Christmas story before opening gifts but I like the symbolism of your idea.
    Tamera from the ttc site

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree is beautiful! :-)
    Paul & I are also die hard football fans and although the Packers aren't our "#1 team", we have both admired Brett Farve for years and are so happy the Packers are having such a great season! (I'm a Steeler fan and Paul is a Giants fan).

    I definitely hope there are 3 gold boxes under your tree next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your traditions -- and I REALLY love the duct-taped stocking! That is just what Peter would have done, too!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. So...better get that third gold box under the tree pronto. Congratulations on your new baby boy! M & D

    ReplyDelete