Sunday, August 22, 2010

stuff = memories

We got rid of all our baby stuff. Not being one to hold onto things, it was harder than I expected.

Earlier in the summer, I went to a few garage sales with my mom. At one garage sale, I bought Lydia a hat. When I went to pay for it, the lady said. "Oh, that was Sophie's first hat. Well, I'm glad it's going to a good home." Seemed like a crazy thing to say to me, and it also made me feel a little weird for buying the hat...

We held our own garage sale this weekend. People would come to me with the items they selected, and memories would flood my mind. I even caught myself telling someone that Lydia looked so cute in the outfit she was purchasing!

On Friday, as I was closing up shop for the day, a lady came and expressed interest in the activity table, asking if I would go down in price. It is one of the few thing we purchased new for Brett. The kids actually still play with it, but it takes up so much space, I had resolved to sell it. But when the lady wanted to buy it, I really wanted to tell her it wasn't for sale. We settled on a price, and I held back tears as I showed her how to take it apart and helped her put it in the car. Then I went into the house to tell Bryan and burst into a long monologue about how time doesn't stand still and we have to take in every minute and savor it...
June 08May 09
December 09

I have always wondered why people hold onto so much stuff. I'm beginning to understand - it's because we can't hold onto time.

2 comments:

  1. tears in my eyes...which is why we have moved your pink Care Bear 5 times, Dave's western hat, Dawne's horse show ribbons and piles of other memories - it's too hard to let go...mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate. I am by nature NOT a packrat at all, but when it comes to baby stuff - it's a whole different ball game. I think it's because I'm not ready (would I ever be ready?) for the having a baby at home stage of my life to end. I keep reminding myself that there are many other fun stages - like for you, going on camping trips. Whenever we're sure we're done, I'm going to have a REALLY hard time parting with the stuff... and there's hardly any other thing in the house that I'd have a hard time parting with.

    P.S. I'm not into camping, but I do enjoy singing around a campfire and eating smores. Yummy!! :-)

    ReplyDelete